1953 A group of parents banded together to provide education for their children who had been denied access to the standard education system. The group purchased Windgap, an old house at 90 Mount Street, Coogee.
1955 Windgap Special School opened. Families became members of the Eastern Suburbs/South Sydney branch of the Sub-Normal Children’s Welfare Association (SCWA). The branch became known locally as Windgap.
1962 Windgap Activity Therapy Centre opened as an annexe to the Windgap Special School, providing day programs for school leavers and adults.
1972 Windgap Enterprises opened as a sheltered workshop, employing people with intellectual disabilities.
1979 Gumnut Play Therapy Group opened for children with special needs aged 0−5 years.
1983 Windgap Cottages opened at Little Bay, providing accommodation for 21 residents.
Warrina Cottage opened at Daceyville for four people with severe and profound intellectual and physical disabilities.
1987 McCullagh Cottage, made possible by a generous donation from the McCullagh family, opened at Mascot.
1988 Winpex Printing Services established in partnership with Apex Clubs of Australia.
1989 Connare Special School transferred to Wairoa Special School at Bondi
Windgap Foundation Limited incorporated. It then acquired assets of the Eastern Suburbs/South Sydney branch of Challenge Foundation and commenced operations.
1990 Windgap Workcrews (Wincrew) Service established.
1992 Windgap Community Access and Support Service (CASS) opened at Mount Street.
1993 The late Hon. Jim Kaldis MLC and Mrs Heather Kaldis provided a property at 18 King Street, Eastlakes, for Windgap to use as a supported accommodation service for six years.
1994 Garden Street CASS commenced operations at Maroubra Junction.
The original site for Windgap services at 90 Mount Street, Coogee, was sold.
1995 Coward Street Community Access Service opened at Mascot.
1996The first Post School Options (PSO) user joined Windgap. This program enabled school leavers with high support needs to participate in community activities.
The Department of Ageing & Disability funded the relocation of the Windgap Cottages’ residents in order to meet new Disability Services Standards.
Hayes Road Cottage opened.
1997 Gale Road Cottage opened as the first move from Windgap Cottages to community housing.
1998 Tweedmouth Cottage at Rosebery opened.
1999 The Adult Training Learning and Support (ATLAS) program for school leavers started, operating in conjunction with the PSO program.
2001 Draper Centre at Botany opened.
2004 Windgap achieved Quality Assurance certification under the Commonwealth Disability Services Standards.
2005 Transition to Work and Community Participation programs commenced for school leavers, supporting them to transfer from school to work.
2008Windgap won a National Business Services Excellence Award.
2009 Windgap expanded Day Programs services to East Sydney Day Programs site at Botany.
Windgap gained approval to provide Active Ageing and Life Choices programs.
Business Services adopted its new name, Australian Disability Enterprises.
2010 Reconfiguration of Residential Services commenced and the first six residents moved into a newly renovated house.
Carlton Street property was purchased, with financial support from Ageing, Disability and Home Care ADHC.
2011Growability started in order to secure a cleaning and landscaping contract with Spotless.
Tweedmouth Cottage reopened after renovations are completed.
2012Transition to Retirement (TTR) programs started and the TTR Art Café established.
Windgap became an approved provider for The Supported Living Fund.
2013 Hospitality and Learning Centre established.
Harcourt Parade Cottage opened.
60th Anniversary of Windgap.
30th Anniversary of Residential Services.
2014 McCullagh Cottage reopened after renovations are completed.
Building works on two new purpose built houses commenced in Pagewood and Little Bay.
Windgap expanded Residential Services with the commencement of services from a site at Anglesea Streetat Bondi.